R is a free software programming language and a software environment for statistical computing and graphics. The R language is widely used among statisticians and data miners for developing statistical software and data analysis.
What's the Difference?
R the application is installed on your computer and uses your personal computer resources to process R programming language. RStudio integrates with R as an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) to provide further functionality. RStudio combines a source code editor, build automation tools and a debugger.
We recommend you install both R and RStudio on your personal computer.
To install R to your local computer follow these steps:
- Download the R installer
- Install R by opening the installer and following the steps
- That's it! You can now run R from your local computer
To install RStudio to your local computer follow these steps:
- Verify you have already installed R and that you can launch the R application
- Download the RStudio Desktop installer at https://rstudio.com/products/rstudio/download/
- Install RStudio Desktop by opening the installer and following the steps
- That's it! You can now run RStudio from your local computer
Please contact a Statistics CSR if you have any difficulty installing R or using RStudio